Wednesday, August 20, 2008

2 steps back

The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. That's the essence of it. - Vince Lombardi

I hit bottom yesterday. After getting to the halfway mark of my training and doing really well, I became sick with the worst cold bug in recent memory. Aches, congestion, fever, nausea -- I had it all... for two weeks! I tried to run, but after a mile or two, would be too winded to keep on. I used my inhaler for the first time in a year. In fact, my doctor had to prescribe a new one because the old one was expired.

So, yesterday after almost two weeks of non-exercise and minimal functioning, I ran. I ran as fast and hard as I could, somehow trying to make up for all the time off. I was already exhausted from a long few days, hungry from a tiny lunch (busy day at work) and overheated from the 85 degree temperature. I went into the kitchen and grabbed a glass of water. Sure enough, a minute or so later, I felt dizzy and plop! fell right to the floor. I couldn't believe that my body just gave out. I was disappointed that what used to be an easy 4 mile run, in a short time, had become a struggle.

"How was I going to go back to running my long runs?" I thought to myself. Disappointment in my performance led to frustration and panic. I had fears about not finishing before my illness. How was I going to finish now after taking so much time off in the middle of training??? That's when the tears came. I worked so hard and felt like I had taken a bazillion steps back -- or more accurately 70 miles. That's how many miles I missed. 70. "How in the world was I supposed to make those up now with less than two months to go???" Then more tears came.

After the crying and the shock of passing out wore off, I knew what had to be done. It's what I was doing all along -- lots more hard work. I can't imagine "if" I cross the finish line. I will. I have to. I already exceeded my expectations. I've put in too much hard work to quit now. I'm not going to lie; I'm scared shitless, but I'm not giving up. And I have to think, what's a goal without its challenges?

2 comments:

Dispatcher from Hell said...

You can do it Mae! Just keep doing what you can and keep your chin up! Sending you hugs!

Life with Pog & FLeC said...

You can do it, Mae! I'm sorry you had to take so much time off your training, but I know you can use the time you have remaining before the marathon to get yourself in the condition needed to finish the race.