Sunday, July 27, 2008

the beginning of my running blog

"If you ever get a second chance in life for something, you've got to go all the way."
- Lance Armstrong


When I registered for Chicago, the divorce was already in motion. I was looking for apartments and knew that my life would never be the same. Rather than become a hermit or wallow around in self-pity (I do both, but I have much less time for either now), I wanted something to look forward to, something to motivate me while I would go through the most trying time in my life so far (I didn't even know the worse of it then).

I underestimated how much help running would be as I began this new journey. Having nothing to do but think for hours at a time have forced me to work out issues in my head. Each mile I shed fears and sweat out frustrations. Each mile I achieve a clearer sense of who I really am. Each mile I realize that I am a strong woman -- stronger than I ever imagined. Each time my feet hit the ground, I run away from my old insecurities towards a better me.

I may not qualify for Boston. Heck, I know I won't qualify for Boston! But I'm not running this race to set any PRs. I'm running because the simple act of running makes me believe that life is good and worth the uncertainties that go with it. As I go through the training process, I hope to share some of my personal struggles and victories in this blog.

Here is the link to the training schedule I am following if you're interested. Week 8 begins tomorrow.

A special thanks to Kate for suggesting me replace the old with the new. :)

2 comments:

Dispatcher from Hell said...

Glad to see you back in the blogging world Mae! You know J and I (and Gideon too) will be cheering you on during the Marathon! I wish we could be there to watch you in person. We know you'll make the Nesties proud!

jomama said...

I found your link through the nest and I enjoyed reading what you have so far. Please write more!