I’m such a running poser. I realize that as soon as I open my Runner’s World every month. Don’t get me wrong. I try to eat healthily and workout regularly, and most of the time I’m successful. BUT I read these articles about people that eat these perfectly portioned meals (30/20/30 – which numbers represent carbs, protein or fat I can never remember) and fartlek and strength train every week without fail make it very apparent that I’m not in that league.
I terribly want to be, but waking up in the mornings to fit in a run seems to be a triumph in and of itself most days (I’m not a morning person – I HATE mornings – but I have to in order to fit it into my day). I also seem to fail every time I plan to cut back on sugars (I can’t resist ice cream in the summer… or winter… ok, I just can’t resist it!) or try to increase the days I strength train (honestly, those days are getting to be farther and farther in between). Not that I was fooling anyone but myself. I have these secret dreams of qualifying for Boston and running marathons all over the globe. And while I still secretly hope they come true, I have come to accept that I’m not the best runner, nor am I near the top of the mediocre runners. But that’s ok.
I run because I love it. I love the healthy glow I get afterward and the feeling of exhaustion and accomplishment. I’m stronger (inside and out) because of it. While I tend to be a perfectionist in the rest of my life (well, excluding this blog which I neglect updating and proofreading), this is the one area where it’s ok for me to not be the best. My only competition is with myself. I don’t have anyone else to beat, nor do I want that responsibility. I run because it’s free and freeing. What can be better than that?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




No comments:
Post a Comment